Table of Contents
There are more and more electric cars in the USA and this trend will continue in the coming years. Many of the new car models currently on display at dealerships seek to be environmentally friendly.
For their part, automakers promise to roll out more electric vehicles in the next decade , and the sale of gas-powered cars may soon be banned.
Additionally, improvements in charging infrastructure and battery technology make the vision of an electric car future clearer than ever.
Next, we will tell you which are the best electric cars in the USA and the cheapest . We will also show you the prices of electric cars in the United States and the main brands.
The best electric cars in the USA
Today there are more electric vehicles than ever before, and sales continue to grow as new models with innovative technologies are launched. With so many options, deciding on one may not be easy for you.
So that you know which are the best electric cars in the USA and you can make a great choice, we present a selection of the best that the market currently offers, the different brands and models with their characteristics.
Tesla Model 3
The Tesla Model 3 takes the top spot on our list of the best electric vehicles in America. It is one of the most desired and sold. It is considered the best electric car for sale today.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration gave it 5-star ratings in all crash test categories in 2019.
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety also gave it high marks.
It is undoubtedly the best-selling electric car of all time and comes equipped with technological advances for autonomous driving.
Features of Tesla Model 3 electric cars:
- 358 miles per full charge on the Long Range version. This means you don’t need to charge it every day.
- 272 miles per full charge on base model
- It’s quick and blazing fast on some models (Long Range rear-wheel drive 0-60 mph in 5.1 seconds, Performance hits 60 mph in just 3.5 seconds)
- Heated front seats
- Navigation and semi-autonomous driving system with Tesla Autopilot
- compact dimensions
- 100% electric
- Changes direction quickly and has great stability
- Aluminum wheels covered by plastic aerodynamic hubcaps
Tesla Model S
If we judge it only by its capacity, the Tesla Model S is one of the best options as an electric vehicle, however, its price is not as affordable as other models.
It has an advanced assistance system that allows the car to work without a driver. The Model S was the first electric vehicle to lead monthly vehicle sales in any country (Norway twice and Denmark once).
Features of Tesla Model S electric cars:
- Standard Model S is a sporty, comfortable and safe sedan
- It has an estimated driving range of up to 412 miles. This depends on the model, for example, the Plaid model offers up to 390 miles
- The 1020-hp Plaid version has supercar acceleration and seats four adults
- Offers full-time all-wheel drive no matter which version you choose
- The Plaid model can hit 60 mph in just 2.1 seconds, though acceleration performance varies from model to model
- The cabin of these electric cars comes with a giant screen that controls almost all the functions of the vehicle.
Audi Sportback e-tron
The Audi e-tron Sportback combines the power and space of an SUV with the elegance of a four-door coupe.
In its Premium version it is a very elegant car that at the same time offers great comfort to the user.
Features of the Audi A6 e-tron electric cars:
- Propelled by two electric motors, one for each axis, which gives it all-wheel drive
- Has almost instant acceleration
- 222 mile performance per charge
- On a 240 volt outlet it can be fully charged in about nine hours
- 21-inch wheel designs
- In its luxury version it includes blind spot monitoring, heated front seats, four-zone climate control, leather upholstery and a panoramic sunroof
- Charges 80% of your battery in approximately 30 minutes
Chevrolet Bolt EV, EUV
The Chevrolet Bolt EV is a practical car and much more affordable than other similar cars.
With its fresh new look, the biggest styling change for the 2022 Bolt EV is a more upright front end that gets “high eye” daytime running lights and turn signals with the headlights lowered.
If you’re going on a road trip, download the myChevrolet mobile app and calculate when you need to stop for a charge. It will also help you find the nearest charging stations.
Features of Chevrolet Bolt EV electric cars:
- You can travel up to 259 miles on a full charge
- The battery can be charged in 7 hours
- spacious interior
- immediate acceleration
- New dual level charging cable that can be used with a 120 volt household outlet or a more powerful 240 volt outlet, such as those used in clothes dryers
- The Bolt’s propulsion system combines a 65 kWh battery and a 200 hp electric motor
- It features a 10.2-inch touchscreen infotainment system with standard features like wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
The Lucid Air is a luxury sedan that has had a great impact upon its arrival on the market, due to its large battery and compact engines that allow it to offer great performance and unmatched range.
It stands out for its elegance, spacious cabin and its interior made with the most luxurious materials.
For its performance, driving range, luxury, and overall elegance, it’s a competitor to other high-value electric cars like the Porsche Taycan and Mercedes-Benz EQS.
Lucid Air Electric Carts Features:
- It can hit 60 mph in just 2.6 seconds.
- The most basic model has an electric motor that drives the rear wheels and produces 480 horsepower.
- Other models have dual electric motors that provide all-wheel drive. Touring makes 620 horsepower and Grand Touring makes 1050
- They can hit 200 mph
- Touring model comes with 20-inch wheels, leather upholstery, and an estimated 425-mile range per charge
- All Lucid models come standard with three years of free charging through the Electrify America charging network.
The best electric SUVs
Electric SUVs are one of the most popular segments today , which is why the various brands are increasingly investing more effort and dedication in the development of these vehicles. Here are some options of the best electric SUVs on the market.
Tesla Model Y
It has an unmistakable design and the usual quality of the brand .
Although it has few customization options, you can get additional seats and choose from the five colors in which it is available.
It comes in two models, the Long Range and the Performance , and brings the most advanced features, such as auto park and the call function, although they are optional.
Features of Tesla Model Y electric cars:
- The Long Range and Performance offer 330 and 303 miles of range respectively
- The Long Range model has all-wheel drive and goes from 0 to 60 mph in just 4.4 seconds. Performance does the same in 3.6 seconds.
- Tesla Model Y Performance comes with 20-inch wheels, a lowered suspension, and a higher top speed (155 mph)
- All functions are managed by a large, thin infotainment screen that sits in the middle of the dash.
Hyundai Ioniq 5
The Hyundai Ioniq 5 is one of the best in its style. It has an elegant design and a spacious cabin.
The Hyundai Ioniq 5 dazzles as a fast-charging SUV with remarkable driving range.
Features of Hyundai Ioniq 5 electric vehicles:
- Rear or four wheel drive
- Performance of 303 miles on a full charge in its single engine version
- 58.0 or 77.4 kWh batteries
- It brings a battery heating system and a preconditioning function standard in all its versions
- Can be recharged from 10 to 80% in about 18 minutes when connected with a DC fast charger
The Kia EV6 has an incredible design and is also one of the best electric SUVs currently available.
Inside the electric car, the design and layout aren’t as daring as on the outside, however, the configuration and features look more futuristic and attractive than any other current Kia model.
Features of Kia EV6 electric cars:
- Available with rear or all wheel drive
- It has a single electric motor.
- 58.0 or 77.4 kWh battery pack
- Delivers 232 miles of EPA-rated range with the base battery and up to 310 miles with the largest battery
- All-wheel-drive models have the big battery and either 320 or 576 total horsepower. The basic rear-wheel drive has a smaller battery and only 167 horsepower
- It is capable of accelerating from 0 to 60 mph in 4.5 seconds.
- 11 kW charger recharges battery from 10 to 100% in 7 hours when connected to a Level 2 outlet
The best all-wheel drive electric SUVs
The all-wheel drive system is a step forward in electric car technology.
This feature provides greater grip and allows you to enjoy sporty driving, especially in those electric cars that have more power.
Below we show you some alternatives of the best all-wheel drive electric SUVs.
Tesla Model X
It is one of the best all-wheel drive electric SUVs. It’s fast, state-of-the-art, and with two electric motors that add up to a total of 670 horsepower.
A three-motor version called the Plaid is slated to hit 1,020 horsepower and hit 60 mph in just 2.5 seconds.
It has a state-of-the-art cockpit, with a giant screen that dominates the dash and provides touch-sensitive access to most Model X features.
Features of Tesla Model X electric cars:
- Offers up to 351 miles of driving range
- It brings two electric motors, one in the front axle and one in the rear, which allows all-wheel drive capability
- Has an acceleration from 0 to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds
- Recharging is fast if done at one of Tesla’s superchargers, which are located across the country. Charging at home via a 240V or 120V connection is possible, although much slower
- It has an austere interior design different from the classic Tesla
The Volkswagen ID.4 has a spacious interior, a comfortable ride, a 77.0 kWh battery pack, and an affordable price when compared to others of its kind.
Heated cloth seats come standard in the front seats , but the Pro S model gets leatherette upholstery with 12-way power-adjustable front seats with memory function.
Features of Volkswagen ID.4 electric cars:
- Rear-wheel drive models have one engine and 201 horsepower. All-wheel drive adds a second engine and increases horsepower to 295.
- It has a range of 275 miles per charge. The basic standard version comes with a smaller battery and offers a range of 208 miles.
- Recharge power at public charging stations relatively quickly and easily
- In its luxury version it presents features such as heated rear seats, automatic climate control system, 20-inch wheels and a premium stereo system.
- All models now come with the largest infotainment screen; 12.0-inch
- All-wheel drive models accelerate to 60 mph in 5.4 seconds, while rear-wheel drive models do so in 7.6 seconds.
It is the brand’s first all-electric SUV and was announced in 2022 with a range of 300 miles per charge, for which it was awarded.
The cabin of the BMW iX is very spacious and offers many high-tech features, including a stylish curved digital instrument cluster display.
Features of BMW iX electric cars:
- It is powered by a pair of electric motors that combine to generate 516 hp
- all wheel drive
- Accelerate to 60 mph in just 4.0 seconds
- Big power, amazing fuel efficiency, nimble handling and a smooth ride
- 105.2 kWh battery
- Can be recharged from 10 to 80% in just 35 minutes when using a 200 kW connection
The best brands of electric cars in the USA
Today there is a growing list of zero emission car models from the likes of Tesla, BYD and BMW.
This is due to the continuous innovations of companies that specialize in electric cars and traditional manufacturers that have diversified into this technology that grows and develops remarkably every year.
The best brands of electric cars in the USA are characterized by manufacturing vehicles with the most advanced technology, great power and ease of recharging.
In addition, these companies compete in the constant search to achieve greater autonomy.
Here is a list of the best brands of electric cars in the USA:
- Mercedes Benz
- Faraday Future
- Draco Motors
How much does an electric car cost in the USA?
One of the most expensive brands is the Porsche, being able to cost $187,600 in its Porsche Taycan Turbo S model. The price varies depending on the version and customization options.
On the other hand, the Nissan LEAF S (40 kWh) is one of the cheapest models with a price starting at $27,400, also depending on the extras or the version chosen.
The cheapest electric cars in the USA
Below, you will find a list of the 5 cheapest electric cars of 2022, available for sale in the United States.
IMPORTANT: The price of electric cars in the USA that we will show in the list does not include the tax credit of the federal government for this type of vehicle, which is currently $7,500 for taxpayers who meet the requirements.
Note that the federal subsidy has run out for Tesla and GM because both have exceeded the EV sales limit for this benefit.
The 2022 Leaf is currently the most affordable electric car you can buy in America.
- Starting price: $28,425
- Eligible for the federal tax credit? Yeah
This little four-door car was one of the first all-electric vehicles to be available nationwide when it launched in the United States as a 2011 model.
Mini Cooper SE Hardtop
The Cooper SE Hardtop, a two-door, four-seater, was the cheapest electric vehicle in the United States until 2021, losing this spot in 2022 to the Nissan Leaf.
- Starting price: $30,750
- Eligible for the federal tax credit? Yeah
Chevrolet Bolt EV, EUV
For 2022, Chevrolet’s small electric hatchback gets a fresh look and a nice $5,000-plus reduction in asking price.
- Starting price: $32,495
- Eligible for the federal tax credit? No
In addition, the manufacturer is offering a help on the cost of installing a 240 volt charger at home. This aid is intended to offset the loss of federal GM vehicle credits that other cars still own.
This is the first electric vehicle from Mazda to be sold in the United States. The MX-30, went on sale in California in October, and is in the works for a national release “in the next few years,” according to the manufacturer.
- Starting price: $34,695
- Are you eligible for federal tax relief? Yeah
Hyundai Kona Electric
This four-door subcompact SUV is very similar in styling and interior layout to the gasoline-powered Kona. It is one of the cheapest electric cars currently on the market.
- Starting price: $35,245
- Eligible for the federal tax credit? Yeah
Main characteristics of electric cars
Electric cars are vehicles propelled by electrical energy that is stored in their batteries and that is recharged through an electrical network, be it home or community.
In addition, they are environmentally friendly vehicles, since they do not produce gas or sound emissions.
Its manufacture requires the implementation of state-of-the-art technology and does not require the use of spark plugs, oil or exhaust filters, among other things.
Terminology you should know about electric cars
So that you can better choose an electric car and know what the models that are available on the market offer, it is recommended that you know some terms with which these types of vehicles are generally described (or related):
- AC – Alternating current
- AMP – Ampere, unit of electrical current.
- BEV – Battery Electric Vehicle
- CHARGING – Recharging the battery of an electric car
- CHARGING POINT – A charging point where electric vehicles can be plugged in and charged
- DC – Direct current
- EREV – Extended Range Electric Vehicle
- EV – Electric Vehicle
- Fast charge – Fast charge
- kWh – Abbreviation for kilowatt-hour
- LEVEL 1 CHARGING (AC, SLOW) – 110-120V AC circuit/outlet. Typically a cord set is used to connect to a 15, 20, or 30 amp 120V wall outlet, which usually comes with the EV
- LEVEL 2 CHARGING (Electric Dryer, FAST) – Level 2 supplies 240V, such as what an electric dryer or oven uses
- LITHIUM-ION BATTERY – is the current standard battery type in electric vehicle batteries, offering good energy density, power and fast charging capability
- MPGe: – Abbreviation for Miles per Gallon (of gasoline)
- PHEV – Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle
- SAE-J1772 – North American Standard for Electrical Connectors for Electric Vehicles
- ZEV – Zero Emission Vehicle
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla battery?
The cost of a full charge of a Tesla car in the USA is on average $13.96. There is a variation that ranges between $9.62 and $18.30, depending on the model, the capacity, the type of battery you use, the type of charger and the cost of electricity in the state where you are.
Price of electric cars in the USA: complete list
If you want to know how much an electric car costs in the United States, in the following table you will find an estimate of the base price by model:
|2022 Nissan LEAF S (40 kWh)||$27,400|
|2022 MINI Cooper SE||$29,900|
|2022 Nissan LEAF e+ S (62 kWh)||$32,400|
|2021 Hyundai IONIQ Electric||$33,245|
|2022 Mazda MX-30||$33,470|
|2022 Hyundai Kona Electric||$34,000|
|2022 Nissan LEAF e+ SV (62 kWh)||$37,400|
|2022 Chevrolet Bolt EV||$31,000|
|2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SE SR RWD 19″||$39,700|
|2022 Kia Niro EV||$39,990|
|2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV||$33,000|
|2022 Ford F-150 Pro SR 18″||$39,974|
|2022 Volkswagen ID.4 Pro 19″||$40,760|
|2022 Kia EV6 Light RWD SR 19″||$40,900|
|2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SE RWD 19″||$43,650|
|2022 Audi Q4 40 e-tron 19″||$43,900|
|2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Select SR RWD 18″||$43,895|
|2022 Volkswagen ID.4 AWD Pro 19″||$44,440|
|2022 Volkswagen ID.4 Pro S 19″||$45,260|
|2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL RWD 19″||$45,900|
|2023 Nissan Ariya Venture+ FWD 19″||$45,950|
|2022 Polestar 2 Single Motor 19″||$45,900|
|2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Select SR AWD 18″||$46,595|
|2022 Kia EV6 Wind RWD LR 19″||$47,000|
|2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SE AWD 19″||$47,150|
|2023 Nissan Aria Evolve+ FWD 19′′||$48,950|
|2022 Volkswagen ID.4 AWD Pro S 19″||$48,940|
|2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium SR RWD 19″||$49,100|
|2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 SEL AWD 19″||$49,400|
|2022 Audi Q4 50 e-tron quattro 19″||$49,900|
|2022 Polestar 2 Dual Motor 19″||$49,900|
|2022 Ford F-150 Pro ER (fleets) 18′′||$49,974|
|2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited RWD 19″||$50,600|
|2022 Kia EV6 Wind AWD LR 19″||$50,900|
|2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line RWD LR 19″||$51,200|
|2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium SR AWD 19″||$51,800|
|2022 Tesla Model 3 RWD 18″||$44,990|
|2022 Audi Q4 Sportback 50 e-tron quattro 20″||$52,700|
|2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Route 1 ER RWD 18″||$52,775|
|2023 Nissan Ariya Premiere FWD 19″ (limited)||$53,450|
|2022 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT SR 18″||$52,974|
|2022 Tesla Model 3 RWD 19″||$46,490|
|2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited AWD 20″||$54,500|
|2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium ER RWD 19″||$55,100|
|2022 BMW i4 eDrive40 18″||$55,400|
|2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge||$55,300|
|2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Route 1 ER AWD 18″||$55,475|
|2022 Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD LR 19″||$55,900|
|2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium ER AWD 19″||$57,800|
|2022 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD 18″||$50,990|
|2022 Kia EV6 First Edition AWD LR 20″||$58,500|
|2022 Volvo C40 Recharge||$58,750|
|2023 Nissan Ariya Platinum+ e-4ORCE AWD 19″||$58,950|
|2022 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD 19″||$52,490|
|2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT IS AWD 20″||$61,995|
|2022 BMW i4 M50 19′′||$65,900|
|2022 Audi e-tron quattro 20″||$65,900|
|2023 Cadillac Lyriq Debut Edition||$58,795|
|2022 Tesla Model 3 Perf. LR AWD 20″||$58,990|
|2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD 19″||$58,990|
|2022 Rivian R1T (Large pack, 21″)||$67,500|
|2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Perf. IS AWD 20″||$67,995|
|2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat SR 20″||$67,474|
|2022 Tesla Model Y Long Range AWD 20″||$60,990|
|2022 Audi e-tron Sportback quattro 20″||$69,100|
|2022 Jaguar I-PACE EV400||$69,900|
|2022 Rivian R1S (Large pack, 21″)||$70,000|
|2022 Tesla Model Y Perf. LR AWD 21″||$63,990|
|2022 Ford F-150 Lightning XLT IS 20″||$72,474|
|2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat IS 20″||$77,474|
|2022 Porsche Taycan (79 kWh) 19′′||$82,700|
|2022 BMW iX xDrive50 20″||$83,200|
|2022 Audi e-tron S 20″||$84,800|
|2022 Audi e-tron S Sportback 20″||$87,400|
|2022 Audi e-tron S 21″||$87,450|
|2022 Porsche Taycan (93 kWh) 19′′||$88,480|
|2022 Audi e-tron S Sportback 21″||$90,050|
|2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Platinum IS 22″||$90,874|
|2022 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo 19″||$93,700|
|2022 Mercedes EQS 450+ (RWD; 20″)||$102,310|
|2022 Audi e-tron GT quattro 20″||$102,400|
|2022 Tesla Model S LR AWD 19″||$94,990|
|2022 Porsche Taycan 4S (79 kWh) 19′′||$103,800|
|2022 Tesla Model S LR AWD 21″||$99,490|
|2022 Porsche Taycan 4S (93 kWh) 19′′||$109,370|
|2022 Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo 19″||$110,300|
|2022 Tesla Model X LR AWD 20″||$104,990|
|2022 GMC Hummer EV Pickup (Edition 1)||$110,295*|
|2022 Tesla Model X LR AWD 22″||$110,490|
|2022 Mercedes EQS 580 4MATIC (AWD; 21″)||$119,110|
|2022 Porsche Taycan GTS (93 kWh) 20″||$131,400|
|2022 Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo 20″||$133,300|
|2022 Tesla Model X Plaid 20″||$126,490|
|2022 Tesla Model S Plaid 19″||$129,990|
|2022 Lucid Air Grand Touring 19″||$139,000|
|2022 Lucid Air Grand Touring 21″||$139,000|
|2022 Tesla Model X Plaid 22″||$131,990|
|2022 Tesla Model S Plaid 21″||$134,490|
|2022 Audi RS e-tron GT quattro 20″||$142,400|
|2022 Porsche Taycan Turbo (93 kWh) 20′′||$150,900|
|2022 Porsche Taycan Turbo Cross Turismo 20″||$153,500|
|2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition Performance 19″||$169,000|
|2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition Performance 21″||$169,000|
|2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition Range 19″||$169,000|
|2022 Lucid Air Dream Edition Range 21″||$169,000|
|2022 Porsche Taycan Turbo S (93 kWh) 21″||$185,000|
|2022 Porsche Taycan Turbo S Cross Turismo 20″||$187,600|
* estimated/unofficial values