Because the Social Security Administration (SSA) is a government institution, your local offices comply with the rule of federal holidays for the rest of your workers. Although we are approaching the December holidays, do you know what days they will be closed?
During this 2022, the offices of the Social Security Administration (SSA) had 10 holidays, of which It only remains to cover next Monday, December 26. Why that day? Because Christmas (December 25) falls on a Sunday, the holiday was moved to the following Monday.
When a holiday falls on a Saturday or Sundayfederal offices observe it on the Friday before or the Monday after, respectively.
During 2022, these were the holidays for Social Security:
1. Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Monday, January 17
2. Washington’s Birthday: Monday, February 21
3. Memorial Day: Monday May 30
4. National Independence Day of June 19: Monday June 20 (observed because June 19 fell on a Sunday)
5. Independence Day: Monday, July 4
6. Labor Day: Monday, September 5
7. Columbus Day: Monday, October 10
8. Veterans Day: Friday, November 11
9. Thanksgiving: Thursday, November 24
10. Christmas: Monday, December 26 (observed, because Christmas falls on a Sunday)
Under normal operations, Social Security offices are open weekdays from 9 am to 4 pm. They fully reopened on April 7 after more than two years of strictly limited visits due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
But the year is about to end, so it is feasible to tell you what they are the 11 holidays that the local SSA will close during 2023:
1. New Year: Monday, January 2
2. Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Monday, January 16
3. Washington’s Birthday: Monday, February 20
4. Memorial Day: Monday May 29
5. National Independence Day of June 19: Monday June 19
6. Independence Day: Tuesday, July 4
7. Labor Day: Monday, September 4
8. Columbus Day: Monday, October 9
9. Veterans Day: Saturday, November 11
10. Thanksgiving: Thursday, November 23
11. Christmas: Monday, December 25
So now you know what days this year and next year the Social Security offices will close, so you can anticipate your procedures without delays.