Table of Contents
A client portfolio is a select group of people with common characteristics regarding income and consumption behaviours, which allows companies to design and offer them new business opportunities.
In the commercial field, a key tool is the client portfolio. This denomination responds to the fact that the “portfolio” belongs to a person, in this case; a sales agent, broker, property, insurance, or any other service that is offered personally, and that, after having done a constant job, has allowed establishing relationships with clients who place their trust in him for the acquisition of services.
Characteristics of a client portfolio
A client portfolio materializes in the systematization and updating of data, for which the agent “owner” of this portfolio should keep a record with useful information, such as for example:
- Current economic situation and income level: To know if these increased or decreased.
- Stage in the client’s life cycle: For example, if you change your marital status, or if you suddenly have children.
- Place of residence and study what is happening in that place: To detect opportunities or risks of investment. For example, if an earthquake occurs in your city, it will not be a good instance to sell insurance, but to offer loans with low rates and flexibility in the payment of fees. This would allow the client to pay for damages caused by the catastrophe.
- Consumption Behavior: For example, if the customer records the purchase of a vehicle, it would be good to insure it.
A key process in building a customer portfolio is precisely loyalty and this requires work in the following:
- Investigate the target audiences.
- Offer unique opportunities to this target group. For example: “Because it is your birthday, we give you a credit of consumption with a preferential rate of 2%, valid throughout this day ”. These opportunities are delivered in moments of interest to the client; Birthdays, Christmas, months of higher spending, among some.
- Delivery of benefits and minor gifts: For example, the sending of discount coupons in associated stores, such as restaurants, cinemas and gyms. This generates interest because the customer will get used to receiving these types of gifts, which is why he is more likely to read the e-mails sent by the portfolio agent.
- Deliver a contact telephone number available 24/7: It is unlikely that a client will call the agent at dawn, but knowing that he has that availability, certainly generates confidence when making the call.
- Interest in the client and in the person: If a client receives a call on a special day just to leave him good wishes for his birthday, or to know if there is anything the company can help him with, he releases the tension of a business-only relationship; The person knows that he has a company that is willing to listen to him.
This procedure is applicable to any target audience, but it must be personalized, so it means a lot of work. Therein lies the importance of building a good client portfolio, since, over time, it is precisely the commercial agent, the attractive person for the resource you have and can work with that client portfolio in a company that offers you better conditions Labor and salary.
If you intend to form a client portfolio, we have just given you some tips to make you attractive in any company. The important thing is to make the most of the resources you have available and your ability to create relationships of trust and maintain them over time.