Table of Contents
Sending money from the United States to Mexico to be claimed by Elektra is possible through money providers that have an agreement with Elektra, such as: MoneyGram, Western Union, Remitly, Xoom and World Remit.
We recommend using Remitly as a provider for your Elektra money transfers because it has better fees, an easy-to-use platform, and impeccable service.
In this article we tell you how you can send money from the United States to receive it in Mexico through Elektra, how much it costs and what alternatives you have.
How to send money from the United States to Mexico through Elektra?
In the United States you will not find Elektra warehouses to send money directly, however you can have money transfers claimed at an Elektra by using the providers that have an agreement with it or through the alliance with Banco Azteca.
Below we leave you the step by step to make the transfer through the allied money transfer providers:
- Choose a money transfer provider that has an agreement with Elektra, for example Western Union, MoneyGram, Remitly, Xoom or World Remit.
- Enter your website and register (your profile must be validated for which you must have a valid identification document, this validation takes time, sometimes hours, other times days)
- Determine the amount of money you want to send, check the commission and exchange rate that you will be charged (use our real-time search engine to get the best rate)
- Fund the transfer with a payment method (each platform has different methods)
- Indicate the personal data of the person who will receive the money
- Specific Elektra store pick -up as delivery method
- Confirm that the data is correct
- Share the key or shipping code with the beneficiary of the transfer
Alliance Elektra and Banco Azteca
Banco Azteca and Elektra have worked hand in hand since 2002, and it allows you to send money from the United States through Dinero Express or through its mobile application, all you have to do is:
- Download the Banco Azteca app on your smartphone
- Complete registration with a valid Mexican identity document
- Go to the Send and receive option in the app and select To another country
- Choose the account you want to send to
- Select or add a new beneficiary
- Enter a shipping concept
- Select the destination country and Elektra agent
- Enter the amount you will send
- Verify your shipping information and click Send
- And that’s it, you’ve made your shipment!
Banco Azteca offers you insurance of up to $8,500 Mexican pesos for a maximum of 6 hours against theft or loss.
How long does it take to send money from the United States to Mexico?
It depends, the time it takes for a money transfer to arrive in Mexico to be claimed by Elektra depends on the delivery method (through the App, website or over the counter) that you choose to send the money from the United States and the method of payment that you select when paying the transaction (debit card, credit card, bank transfer, cash payment).
How much does Elektra charge to send money?
Elektra does not charge anything to receive money at its branches, that is, if you make a shipment from the United States to be claimed at any Elektra in Mexican territory, the person who receives the money will not have to pay anything. The shipping costs must be paid by you and depend on the operator with which you decide to make the shipment as well as the payment method you choose to fund the money transfer.
In this table we summarize the times and costs of Elektra’s alliances:
Comparison of sending money from the United States to Mexico
Comparison of time and commissions of the operators that have an agreement with Elektra
|Fee for payment with Debit Card||Fee for payment with Credit Card||Fee for payment with Bank Account||Fee for payment in physical store||Weather|
|Western Union||US$6||US$34||US$3||US$8||Bank transfer: 3 to 5 business days Debit/credit card: Minutes|
|Money Gram||US$13.99||US$34.99||US$3.99||Charges Vary||Bank transfer: 3 to 5 business days Debit/credit card: Minutes|
|Remitly||For shipments over $500 – $0 For shipments under $500 – $3.99||For shipments over $500 – $0 For shipments under $500 – $3.99||For shipments over $500 – $0 For shipments under $500 – $3.99||N/A||Bank transfer: 3 to 5 business days Debit/credit card: Minutes|
|wise||$11.25 + $8.43||$37.44 + $8.23||$1.60 + $8.50||N/A||Bank transfer: 1 business day Debit/credit card: the next day|
|xoom||$3.99||$3.99||For shipments over $300 – $0 For shipments under $300 – $2.99||N/A||Minutes|
|WorldRemit||$3.99||$3.99||$3.99||N/A||Bank transfer: 3 to 5 business days Debit/credit card: Minutes|
1) The costs associated with the exchange rate are not being considered
2) A shipment of USD $1,000 has been given as an example
Tips for receiving money from the United States
Here are some practical tips for receiving money from the United States:
Tip #1: Compare and research the options available to you
Currently there are many ways to send and receive money from abroad, and they are changing all the time, so do an internet search, call or use pages like ours to compare different options in real time and make the best decision about the provider money transfer transfer to use.
Tip #2: Check the exchange rate
Before making a money transfer, make sure you know the market exchange rate (the one you find on Google) in order to determine if the provider you are choosing offers you a good exchange rate.
Tip #3: Keep check-in times in mind
Each money transfer provider, as well as the method of receiving money you choose, will influence the time it will take for the money to reach your recipient, so we recommend you do things with time, in order to get the best offer for your transfer.
Frequent Asked Questions
Can I collect a shipment at any Elektra?
Yes, you can visit any Elektra store near you to withdraw the money. You also have two other options to access your money:
- The first is to go to a Banco Azteca office and withdraw the money through a window, this only applies if they have sent you the money with the Dinero Express option . You do not need an account in this bank to withdraw your money.
- The second applies if you are a customer of Banco Azteca, you can receive the money directly on your phone through the bank’s application, just enter the Send and receive option, select the country of origin of the money (in this case United States States), enter the exact amount you receive, choose the account in which you want to make the deposit, enter the number of the operation and that’s it, your money will be in your account.
How much is the dollar in Elektra?
To check the price of the dollar in Elektra you can go to elektraenvios.com, however, keep in mind that the value of the dollar that you will be paid will be that of the allied operator with which you have decided to send money.
These exchange rates are often expensive and non-transparent, so we recommend using our real-time comparison engine to find the best deal.
How much money can I send to Mexico through Elektra?
The limit of money to send with Elektra will depend on the provider you choose. For example:
- If you select Western Union, you can program a maximum transfer of $7,499, that is, about $150,000 Mexican pesos.
- With the Dinero Express option by Banco Azteca, the limit will be $66,150 Mexican pesos per day.
Be sure to ask the provider you choose to find out what their maximum limits are and thus pay less per transaction.