Do you want to go to the country of kangaroos to learn English or study a career ? So, consider working in Australia to pay for your stay.
The advantages are many! In addition to money and work experience, you can enjoy its beaches, learn about its traditions and savor its food.
Rather. Stay in our article and let’s discover together why working and living in Australia can change your life. Let us begin!
How to work in Australia?
One of the main questions we get is how to work in Australia. Luckily for you, we have been advising travelers for more than eight years to study and work in the Aussie country.
From IT positions to surf lessons, we know very well the reasons, the steps and the tips to get a job in southern lands. Get to know them!
6 steps to work in Australia
For many, knowing how to find work in Australia can be a challenge, but the truth is that it is very easy to start fulfilling the Aussie dream.
Don’t you believe us? Discover below 6 steps to work in Australia that are perfect for you. Do not miss them!
1. Decide the type of experience you want to live
Before starting your adventure, you must be clear about what you hope to achieve with it. Do you want to study and work? Do you want to have free time to tour the Aussie country?
The answers to these questions define the objective of your trip to Australia and, therefore, which visa you are going to apply for. Keep it super clear so you can choose wisely.
Study and work in Australia
If your goal is to study in Australia, but you also want to work, the following visas could be what you are looking for. Keep reading!
With this visa for Australia you can study and work at the same time. In addition, the great advantage is that you can stay in the country for up to five years and work 20 hours a week while you study and full time while on vacation. It is perfect for VET courses and postgraduate courses!
Work and Holiday Visa
The Work and Holiday Visa is one of the most popular Aussie visas. By obtaining it, you will also be able to work and study at the same time, although its purpose is to take vacations for a year.
Keep in mind that only a few nationalities may apply to this type of Aussie visa : Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, Spain, Peru and Uruguay. It also has an age limit: between 18 and 30 years old.
Don’t get confused with the Working Holiday Visa! The difference between the two is in the types of nationalities that can apply.
Work in australia
Now, if your purpose is to work in Australia, there are several types of visas that you can apply for. However, the best known are the skilled visa and, especially, the temporary skills:
Temporary Skill Shortage Visa
With this Australian visa you can stay for up to 4 years in the country. However, you must have an employment contract with a company endorsed by the Government. Also, your profession must appear on the Skilled Occupation List.
We recommend that you study and work in Australia, as this way you can enjoy your free time. In addition, it increases the possibility of joining the labor market.
This work visa for Australia is aimed at recent graduates of essential careers for the Australian economy or for graduates of Australian institutions. It allows you to work full time in the highest paying jobs!
If you are a foreign professional you can work for 18 months, but if you are a graduate in Australia you can stay for 3 to 5 years. Keep in mind that the age limit is 50 years old and you must demonstrate knowledge of English.
2. Select the city where you want to work
The next step to work in Australia is to select the city where you want to live. To do this, check your cost of living compared to the cost of living in the Aussie country. Also, the diversity of plans that it offers you. These are the most important:
- Sydney : this is one of the cities in Australia where you can breathe the most culture. There are different plans and for all tastes! In addition to that it offers several opportunities to work.
- Melbourne : the particular charm of this city is in the sports in Australia that take place throughout the year. Do you measure yourself up to a good dose of adventure?
- Gold Coast : it is one of the favorite destinations for surfers in the world. You will not be able to resist its golden beaches and its imposing waves!
- Brisbane – This Australian city is known for its sustainability policies, fresh air is guaranteed!
- Perth : if you like quiet environments and nature, here you can really enjoy the outdoor plans.
- Byron Bay : If you are chilled and you love surfing, this small Australian town has a good vibe atmosphere that you are simply going to love.
3. Prepare to travel to Australia
To travel to Australia, we recommend that you start your ticket search at least a month and a half before your travel date. This way you will have time to compare prices and resolve doubts with the airlines.
Also mentally prepare to spend up to two days traveling by plane. And don’t forget that, upon arrival at the destination, an immigration agent will review your documents. Did you panic? Let it go with our tips for traveling by plane for the first time!
Also, if you are concerned about what to bring to Australia, keep in mind that, just as there are many sunny days, there are also rains, gales and hailstorms. So pack at least one coat, thermal clothing, and waterproof to cope with the Australian weather.
4. Find accommodation in Australia and open your bank account
We recommend that you stay in a hotel or hostel for the first two weeks after your arrival and then find a place to live. Never rent from abroad, as you expose yourself to disappointments, misunderstandings and even scams.
Now, although it is not a legal requirement to work in Australia, open a savings account. This makes your life much easier because most companies in Australia pay their payroll through bank transfers.
Not sure how to open a bank account in Australia? If you travel with us, we will help you with the process at Commonwealth Bank. Here you do not pay commissions if you are a student and have an extensive network of ATMs.
5. Adapt your resume to the Australian style
Before embarking on the trip, we recommend adapting your CV for Australia. This document is known in English as a resume, so it should be concise and brief. How to make a successful CV?
- The best CVs for Australia have a maximum of two sheets.
- It is not necessary to include photographs. Companies look more at your skills and knowledge than your physical appearance.
- Include only relevant information. For example, recent work experience and academic studies relevant to the vacancy.
- Check that the email, contact number and all the information is well written and without spelling errors.
6. Complete the formalities to work in Australia
As you do in your home country, you must pay taxes for working in Australia. For this, there are two essential documents: the TFN (Tax File Number) and, if you go as an independent, the ABN (Australian Business Number).
You must also obtain permission to work in Australia in the construction sector, serving alcoholic beverages or babysitting. These are White Card, RSA and White Card.
Requirements to work in Australia
The authorities are very strict about the conditions to work in Australia. If you do it without a visa, for example, you could be expelled from the country and even denied entry in the future.
Next, we will explain to you about the essential requirements to get a job in the country of the koalas. Keep reading!
Work visas for Australia
This is the fundamental requirement not only to work, but to enter the country. Even if your country of origin is exempt from an entry permit to Australia, you must request the appropriate one to work. There are dozens of visa options for Australia.
TFN or ABN
As we mentioned above, among the essential requirements are obtaining a TFN (Tax File Number), if you are going to work for an employer. On the other hand, if you are going to be self-employed, you will need an ABN (Australian Business Number).
To be able to request these numbers you must have your valid passport, an address in Australia and a mobile phone with a local number. Access the TFN application page or the ABN site. Upload your documents and you will receive your number by post.
You are now ready to pay the Australian Treasury. But, don’t make a long face. Australia gives you the opportunity to request tax refunds before the end of your stay. Consider it a contribution and a savings.
Passport with legal age
Of course, having a valid passport that covers your entire stay will be essential in the processing of your visa to work in Australia. This document must prove that you are over 18 years old, since it is the legal age to work.
Permits according to the labor sector
We have already told you that some work sectors in Australia require additional permits or accreditations to the visa. We present the three most common:
Construction | White card
It is the permit for any construction related work in Australia. Validate your knowledge and skills in this sector, especially in security matters.
The White Card is not issued to you directly by the Government, but by a designated institution after you pass a training course.
The trainings are, in general, face-to-face and their duration varies according to the skills required by the employer. Their prices range from 50 to 100 AUD. Check out this list of accredited training schools!
Hospitality | RSA
The Responsible Service of Alcohol (RSA) is the required permit to sell, serve and supply alcohol in Australia. To achieve this, you also need to take a training course at a government authorized school.
These programs generally include topics such as local laws on the sale of alcohol, advice on drinking with limits, and more. Also, there is no RSA valid for all of Australia.
I work with children | Blue card
This is the permit to work in Australia in any employment related to children. You must apply to the Government of the Australian state where you are. This will verify that you do not have a criminal record for crimes against children or adults.
In some cases, you must take a course (which can also be online) and undergo a knowledge assessment. If you want to know more about how to process the permit, check our post dedicated to the Blue Card Australia.
This language is the key that opens the doors to most jobs in Australia ! It is even required by unskilled jobs that are not even open to the public. The reason is obvious: for the interview with your employer, a minimum of English is necessary.
And, if you want to land some of the highest paying Australian jobs, recruiters often ask you to prove your command of the language. Do you already have an English certificate? By doing so, you will have more options to work in Australia.
Working in Australia without knowing English?
Of course it can! After years advising travelers, we have found many cases of people who without knowledge of English or with minimal knowledge have managed to work in Australia . Usually they have 2 factors in their favor:
- They receive help to find a job in Australia and, thanks to their attitude and good work, they get it.
- They find employment in a company with Spanish-speaking roots, (the Spanish and Latino community in Australia is wide).
Keep in mind that job offers in Australia are greatly reduced if you do not know English. Even mastering this language will still be necessary for a raise or promotion.
How much do you earn from working in Australia?
The salary you will receive when working in Australia will depend on the city, the sector, the company and your experience. In any case, the salaries are high. Especially if we compare them with those of Latin countries or even with that of Spain.
Minimum wage in Australia
The minimum wage in Australia is among the highest in the world. For 2021, the minimum wage in Australia is 19.84 AUD (Australian dollars) per hour, or about 15.19 USD.
This means that, for working in Australia part time (20 hours) with minimum wage, you would be earning around 1,587 AUD per month. Enough to live well and go on an adventure!
Average income in Australia
But the minimum wage is not the only indicator to consider in Australia. Another interesting reference is average income, an estimate of the average earnings of workers in all economic sectors.
According to a survey by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the average income is AUD 1,713.90 per week for full-time working adults. That is, a monthly income of 6,852 AUD, and annual of up to 82,224 AUD. Sounds great, right?
Salaries for specialized positions
The median income can grow depending on the state of Australia, the sector and the position. For example, in New South Wales and Canberra, two of the highest cost of living areas in the country, the annual income exceeds AUD 90,000.
However, the highest paying jobs are in the computer science, mining and medicine sectors. Earnings exceed AUD 100,000 per year. How does that sound? At Payscale, you can calculate an approximate salary based on your profession.
Most in-demand jobs in Australia
Australia has a peculiar situation: its economy is expanding, but there are not enough workers. Therefore, there is a wide offer of attractive jobs for foreigners. Next, we will tell you which are the sectors with the highest labor demand in this country. There is sure to be a place for you!
- Hospitality. The positions are very varied and include both tasks facing the public (waiter, clerk, manager) and internal (cleaning, catering, janitor). For example, on platforms like Helpling you can find a job as a cleaner if you have experience in cleaning and flexible hours.
- Construction. Construction is also a sector with high demand for foreign workers. To access a position in this sector it is preferable to have experience. We recommend exploring offers on the ConX platform.
- Logistics / Delivery. There are more and more applications or home delivery services (food, shopping, courier) to work in Australia. You can get a driver’s license and go to work in one of these positions. The Foodora and UberEats apps are two good options.
- AuPair. Many Australian families need full or part time babysitters. They usually pay you well to take their children to school, take care of them at home and give them Spanish classes. Once you have obtained the Blue Card, it is not difficult to access this sector.
How to find a position to work in Australia?
Every traveler eagerly awaits the answer to this question. The truth is that the basic thing is to be clear about the process and the strategy. To start with, you need to make sure you find work in Australia. These are some of the best platforms to do it!
Job boards in Australia
Although the best way to work in Australia is through networking (that is, meeting people who can help you fill a position), you can also find work through specialized portals.
On this occasion, we have compiled some of the job boards in Australia with the most job offers. Take note!
Australian job boards for general positions
- Indeed. Search thousands of offers by Australian city, position and profile. You can upload a copy of your CV and send it directly to the recruiter.
- Seek. This is a platform to find all kinds of work. Big companies always post here.
- Gumtree. It is the most popular online bulletin board in Australia. It is used above all to find casual jobs.
Australian job boards for specialized positions
- Weneedananny. Nanny / AuPair Jobs
- The Loop. Jobs for designers and creatives
- OneShift. Bring together employees and employers. Here you can find from casual work, one-off shifts or permanent work.
- Airstaker. Platform where you can participate in job “auctions” offering the services that people require.
Facebook pages to find a job in Australia
There is a special private Facebook group called Growers in Australia in which we include all our growers who like you want to start their adventure on the right foot.
In the group, each of the members share our experiences, as well as job options and job offers. If you end up making the leap, we will include you in this select group and thus you will get to work in Australia more easily.
Among the many other groups in this social network, we recommend the following. You will find job offers, accommodation and even invitations to events. Add them to your favorites!