Table of Contents
We leave you in this note the best debit cards that you can get in the US more easily and the reasons why each one is worth it.
Unlike credit cards, designed as a channel to borrow money from the bank, debit cards only have the money that the customer has in his account. Therefore, once the limit of the funds is reached, there are no risks of debt or pending payments as in the case of the former. This feature is one of the biggest advantages of this type of banking product, but it is not the only one. Even the easiest debit cards to obtain in the United States offer other benefits that the customer should compare carefully before choosing the one that best suits their needs.
In addition to debit cards affiliated with bank accounts, in the country there is the option of prepaid debit cards, which work with a deposit that the client makes and that, at the same time, sets the limit of the card for greater security. and cost control.
What do easy access debit cards offer in the United States?
When it comes to debit cards, there are several criteria that can be considered to choose the most convenient, beyond the particular needs of each person. Such criteria always pursue the same goal of obtaining the greatest amount of benefits while reducing the associated obligations. Some criteria and options are described below to be able to choose the most convenient debit card among all those offered by the US market:
1. Rewards and security against theft and scams
A debit card represents a good option when it competes with others available in the market, offering the latest advances in terms of services and technology. On that note, if a card promises rewards while also ensuring security against theft or scams, it may be the best choice for the average customer. Some options that meet these characteristics are the following:
Bank of America – Debit Card
- It has the largest rewards program with cash back of up to 15% in selected categories.
- Offers an alert service that detects suspicious transactions.
- Allows you to block the card from an application for smartphones.
- When fraudulent transactions become effective, customers can be released from any responsibility for the fact if they immediately report the inconvenience.
US Bank – Visa Debit
- This US Bank card is committed to convenience as it is designed to avoid trips to the ATM or the need to request cash.
- It offers an entire online platform that allows the client to manage all their money from anywhere with the greatest security : from email alerts and notifications via text messages to protection against fraud.
- Releases the customer from any responsibility in case of unauthorized purchases.
2. Low commissions in the use of the debit card
When choosing a debit card, it is also important to consider the implicit commissions. If a card waives or reduces certain fees for online payments, ATM withdrawals, or replacement requests, then it’s a good option. So are those cards that do not require or reduce charges for making transfers.
Discover – Cash Back Debit
- In addition to offering some of the advantages described above, this card has no annual cost, which makes it one of the cheapest cards on the market.
- In the same way, it includes the client in a rewards program whose main benefit is the cash return of 1% of their expenses (the maximum return per month is 30 dollars).
- The benefits obtained through the rewards program can be transferred directly to a savings account of the same client.
M1 Finance – M1 Spend Visa
- This card focuses on rewards, which it offers through an attached checking account with an annual percentage yield (APY) of 1.7%.
- This translates into interest in favor that remains unchanged because it is a virtual account, that is, it does not require an annual fee and does not require minimum balances.
- At the same time, it offers 1% cash back on certain eligible purchases for customers with a Plus membership.
- As it is an issuer without physical branches, this card also has a lot of security for virtual transactions and an excellent range of online services.
3. Prepaid credit cards
Prepaid credit cards in the United States are mainly characterized by the cash deposit associated with them: customers who have them must constantly recharge them in order to use them. Some debit cards can be prepaid, a feature that, in addition to implying the need to make a deposit to use them, implies independence from a bank account. These cards allow customers to decide how much money will be spent on the card, giving you more control over your finances.
American Express Cash Back
- This card returns an unlimited 1% on any purchase the customer makes with it, while protecting the customer’s funds against fraud.
- At the same time, it offers the possibility of making or receiving your salary up to two days before it is deposited.
- Like any prepaid card, it can be associated with annual or monthly maintenance fees, but it has the advantage that it is interest-free.
Blue Netspend Visa
- It is one of the fastest cards on the market because it does not require a credit check and the process is relatively easy.
- Although it is recognized for being associated with several charges (use of ATMs, inactivity, recharging) it is ideal for those who do not have a checking account since it allows paper checks to be deposited for recharging without any additional charge.
Why are debit cards recommended?
In general, debit cards are usually the perfect option to impose limits on the financial plane. With them, you do not run the usual risk of accumulating debts related to interest or overdrafts —typical of credit cards— and you enjoy certain benefits, but it is very likely that such benefits will not exceed those derived from a credit card., especially if the latter is well managed.
Debit cards do not increase the credit score and do not guarantee coverage of expenses greater than the capital that the client has. However, they simplify daily transactions and prevent people from having to carry cash, reducing the risk of theft or loss.