How to Apply for Section 8 Housing

Section 8 is a program offered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, also known as HUD. Through HUD, low-income families obtain financial vouchers that offset the cost of renting or buying a home. To receive assistance from HUD, you must enrol in Section 8 housing through a local public housing agency (PHA).

Contact PHA to see if applications for Section 8 housing are being accepted. If they are being accepted, request a preliminary or preliminary request by mail. You can also visit your local PHA office to get one. Some PHAs will also provide you with a downloadable form from their websites.

Complete the preliminary housing application for Section 8. You will have to provide the number of people in your home and their names, ages and relationship. You will also have to provide financial information including bank information, your employer’s name, current wages and any other source of income.

Gather documentation to support the information entered in the application. You may need to include copies of some documents, birth certificates, Social Security cards, recent pay stubs, bank statements and tax returns.

Submit the completed preliminary application, along with the documentation, to the PHA. Your name will be placed on a preliminary waiting list. When your number on the list is reached, you will be contacted for review. It may take months or years for your name to be reached, depending on how many people are on the list in front of you and how quickly housing funds are available.

Wait for the PHA to complete the selection process. This includes a background check and verification of your financial information. When the selection process is complete, the PHA will contact you to let you know if you have been approved for Section 8 housing. The PHA does not give a deadline for the selection process.