Table of Contents
Opening an online account is very easy. You just need a computer or smartphone with an Internet connection and have your identity document at hand. In just a few minutes you can open a totally free Internet bank account. No paperwork and no travel. But how do you do it? We tell you how to open an online account step by step, what requirements you have to meet and what are the best digital accounts without commissions.
I want to open an online account, which are the best?
If you want to open an account online, you will surely want it to be free. And, why not, that allows you to make free transfers, withdraw money at a wide network of ATMs and that includes a card to buy in physical stores and online. The good news is that most banks sell an online account with these conditions, so it should not be difficult for you to open one. In addition, they generally do not have commissions, even if you do not direct deposit your payroll.
Next, we present the best bank accounts that you can open online.
- The best online accounts
- How to open an online account?
- What are the requirements to open an account online
- Advantages of online accounts
- Open an online account at BBVA
- Open an online account at ING
- Open an online account at Openbank
- Open an online account in Abanca
- Open an online account at N26
- Frequently asked questions about how to open an online account
How to open an online account step by step?
Opening a bank account online is a very simple process and should not take more than 10 minutes. Most Spanish banks, even the largest ones, allow you to open an account online through their website or app, without having to go to a branch. You can even sign the account contract electronically through your mobile.
The process to open an online account can vary from bank to bank, but in general, these are the steps you need to take if you want to create an online account:
- The registration process begins. The first thing you have to do is access the bank’s website or download its app and start the registration process. Most likely, you will find a button, quite visible, in which it says something like become a customer or open an account. At HelpMyCash you can compare the best online accounts on the market. If you are interested in any, click on go to the offer and we will redirect you directly to the bank’s website.
- Fill in the form with your personal data. Enter your name and surnames, your DNI or your NIE and your date of birth. You must also provide your mobile number, your e-mail and your address. In addition, the bank will need you to inform them about your employment status.
- Attach your documentation. The next step is to attach a photograph, front and back, of your ID.
- Verify your identity. In order to complete the registration, you have to identify yourself. To do this, the bank will ask you to take a selfie or make a video call so that an operator can verify who you are.
- Indicate in which address you want to receive the card. It usually takes between one and two weeks to arrive.
- Sign the contract. Finally, enter the temporary use code that you will receive by SMS to complete the registration process and sign the contract electronically.
- Start using your account. The bank will notify you when the account is operational and you can start using it. In some banks the wait is a few hours, while in others the process can take several days.
When your new account is operational, you can start making deposits and payments. You will only need one step: activate the card when it has arrived at your address. In general, banks allow you to activate your cards through online banking, making a purchase with a pin or withdrawing money from an ATM.
What are the requirements to open an account online?
In the same way that a traditional bank account has opening requirements, when opening an online bank account you must meet some conditions:
- Be of age. In general, banks will not let you open an online account if you are not of legal age.
- Be a Spanish resident. To open a bank account online you must be in possession of a valid DNI or NIE and, in addition, you must reside in Spain and indicate a Spanish address to receive communications from the bank and the card. If you want to open an account using a passport, you will most likely have to do it at a branch.
- Have a mobile device. Having a mobile is, today, essential to manage an account online. The bank will send to your mobile, either by SMS or through push notifications from the app, the codes you will need to sign your operations. In addition, some banks, directly, will only allow you to open an account online and manage it through an app.
Additional requirements that the bank could ask you
Some banks may require you to meet a series of additional requirements to open an online account:
- Domicile a payroll. It is possible that the bank requires you to direct deposit a salary or other income to open the account, whether it is a specific amount or not.
- Deposit a minimum balance. Some accounts may require you to deposit a specific amount of money at opening (something typical in some savings accounts).
- Hire additional products. The bank may also ask you to contract an additional product if you do not want to pay commissions, such as insurance.
What are the advantages of creating an online account?
Opening a bank account online has a clear advantage: you can open it at any time from anywhere. In just a few minutes, you can have an account with a Spanish IBAN or even with an IBAN from another European country if you are interested in opening an account in another country of the European Union.
But, in addition, creating an account online has other advantages:
|100% online operation. Most online bank accounts allow all basic operations to be carried out through the app or the web, so it will not be necessary to leave home or depend on branch hours.|
|No commissions. Many online accounts do not have maintenance fees for issuing transfers in euros or for the debit card.|
|Less bonding. Online accounts usually have fewer requirements to not pay commissions. In fact, you can open an online account without payroll for free.|
|More transparent. Banks are usually more transparent when it comes to advertising their virtual products and the customer can calmly read the contractual information at home before opening the account.|
|Multi-channel attention. Holders of online bank accounts have more customer service channels, such as social networks, chats, e-mail, telephone, WhatsApp, etc.|
Open an online account at BBVA
To open an Online Account at BBVA you need three things : first, be a new customer of the bank, that is, not already have an account open at the entity; second, to have a valid DNI or resident card, and, third, to have a smartphone or a computer with a webcam that has a good Internet connection.
What are the steps? First, access the BBVA website (you can enter directly from the button below) or download the bank’s app and click on become a customer. Decide if you want to open the account alone or with another holder. Enter your e-mail, your phone number, your ID and choose a password to access the app.
Take a selfie and attach a photo of your ID so that the BBVA system can verify your identity. Make sure the photos are of good quality and have enough light. Otherwise, the system will not allow you to open an online account with BBVA. In addition, during the registration process you will have to make a short video call with a bank manager to finish verifying who you are.
Finally, read the account contract and sign it with a code that you will receive by SMS.
Note: To open an Online Account at BBVA you need to be of legal age. You do not need to domicile your income, or your receipts, or maintain a minimum balance. The BBVA Online Account has no fees.
Open an online account at ING
You can open an online account at ING over the Internet, either from your mobile or from your computer, as long as you are of legal age. The first thing you have to do is enter the ING website (click on the button below and we will automatically redirect you to their website) and click on open my Payroll Account or on contract it. Indicate your e-mail, your DNI or residence card and your date of birth.
The next step is to fill out a form with your personal data (name and surname, nationality, marital status, mobile phone number, etc.).
Then, you have to enter the information about your address and your work activity, a requirement that all banks request.
Once you have provided this information, it is time to define your access code. You have to choose a six-digit code. This password is personal and you will need it to access the bank’s website.
The next step is to verify your identity. You have two options: you can provide the IBAN code of another account that you have opened in your name in another entity or you can take a video selfie. The first option is slower.
Finally, you will only have to sign the contract to finish opening the ING online account.
Note: ING’s day-to-day online account is commission -free. To enjoy all its advantages, you need to directly direct your regular income or receive transfers of at least 700 euros per month from another bank, but even if you no longer meet this requirement, you will not pay maintenance fees either.
Open an online account at Openbank
You can open an online account at Openbank through the Internet. To start the process, click the button below. You will need your identity document, a Spanish mobile phone and a device with a camera and microphone or the IBAN code of another account of which you are the holder (you can choose how you prefer to identify yourself).
The first thing you have to do is enter your personal data and create your password. Then, you have to identify yourself and, finally, attach the documentation requested by the bank and sign the contract with the code that you will receive by SMS.
Note: To open a current account without commissions in Openbank you have to be of legal age. You do not need to domicile your payroll to hire it.
Open an online account in Abanca
Abanca offers a completely online account that you can open in a few minutes online if you are of legal age. To register you have to enter the Abanca website (you can do so by clicking on the button below), fill out a form with your personal data and follow the instructions.
You will need to have your valid DNI or NIE handy, a mobile phone and a document to justify your economic activity, such as a copy of your last payslip.
To verify your identity, you have to take a video selfie. If the device with which you have registered does not have a camera, nothing happens, you can finish the process at a branch.
Note: To open an online account in Abanca it is not necessary to direct deposit income or maintain a minimum balance. The Clara Account is free even if income is not received periodically.
Open an online account at N26
N26 is a 100% online fintech entity, so the process to open a digital account is simple. First, you have to access the bank’s website (click on the button below and we will automatically redirect you to their website) or download their app. To start the registration process, indicate which is your country. Then, enter your name and surnames, your e-mail and your date of birth.
Next, enter your mobile phone number. Then, enter the address where you want to receive your debit card. Check that you have entered your address correctly and click on continue.
Fill in the following form with your personal data (nationality, city of birth…) and your employment information (in which sector do you work, what is your main source of income, etc.). To finish, enter your ID number and create a password.
Read the terms and conditions and create your account. Once this step is done, if you have opened the account through your computer, you have to download the N26 app and verify your identity.
Note: The N26 current account has no fees or conditions.
Frequently asked questions about how to open an online account
Next, we help you to solve some of the most frequent doubts about how to open an online bank account:
Can I open an online bank account with the passport?
Generally, banks usually require a DNI or NIE to open an online account. Usually, during the opening process, the bank indicates what type of identity documents it accepts. If you need to open an account with a passport, you will probably have to go to a branch.
Is it possible to open an online bank account without commissions?
Yes, in fact, the absence of commissions is usually its main advantage. By managing remotely and saving personnel, branch and paper expenses, the accounts usually do not have commissions.
Can I open an online account at CaixaBank, BBVA or Santander?
Yes, you can open an online account at CaixaBank, BBVA and Banco Santander without having to set foot in a branch. Of course, the conditions may vary depending on each bank, so before opening an account, read the small print carefully, especially the sections on commissions and conditions.
Can online accounts only be managed remotely?
It depends, some online accounts allow you to operate from the office or by phone, although they may charge a commission for it if online operations are one of the requirements for not paying commissions.
Can online accounts be closed remotely?
It depends on the bank account and the entity. 100% online bank accounts such as ING, Openbank or N26 can be closed without having to go to a branch. However, large banks, as is the case with Santander, Sabadell or CaixaBank, will require going to the nearest physical branch even though the opening has been done online.