Resilience is the ability of a person to overcome and overcome traumatic situations that occur in life.
It is a concept that is often used in the area of psychology.
Frequently, problems such as illness, loss of a loved one, accidents, personal disappointments related to love, or family, among other circumstances that test the human ability to face them can happen.
The situations that occur, can take anyone to the limit, and that is when there are two alternatives: overcome and learn from experience, or be overcome without overcoming the events that have happened. The first indicates a resilient attitude.
It is also used in the business world. A resilient company is one that overcomes all the crises and difficulties that get in its way.
How is the resilient attitude
The author who coined this concept was John Bowlby, the creator of attachment theory, but it was Boris Cyrulnik, a psychiatrist, who exposed it to the world, especially through his book “The Ugly Ducklings” where he speaks extensively about this concept and the most prominent examples of resilient attitude.
The resilient attitude is highlighted by the following:
- The ability to know the limits that a person has, and to know what he stands out to enhance it. They are people who are aware of their abilities, the strengths they have, and detect their defects and limitations in order to get the best out of themselves.
- Creativity is another of its characteristics. The tendency to create something creative, and learn from it, is something that characterizes these types of attitudes.
- They do not give up in the face of any adversity. Come into the problem that an opportunity has emerged to learn about it. If a crisis happens, try to keep the positive side to move forward.
- Optimism as a predominant option. They do not usually see the glass half empty, but focus on seeing it half full. They enjoy the challenges of life, the positive aspects and to continue moving in that direction, without falling into the negative of the facts. They are great connoisseurs of themselves and knowing that they have positive and weak points, they bet on the former to maximize them.
- They control their emotions. They know that they can only control that which starts from themselves, not from the actions of others, or the events that happen. Therefore, they assume their responsibility but taking into account that they cannot control everything that happens in life.
- They surround themselves with people who bring positivity. Surrounding yourself with positive people, and who bring creativity, love, positive feelings are common in this type of attitude. They avoid surrounding themselves with toxic people that invade their lives.
- They practice mindfulness, and psychological techniques to promote mindfulness, and control your emotions in a positive and practical way.
- They face life with humour. There is nothing better than in the face of adverse situations starting from humour to try to assume them and overcome them.
- The flexibility above all. Life generates changes, and that is when a resilient person adapts to them, without rigidity, and taking care that everything can happen, and the important thing is to maintain the attitude.
The important thing to have this type of attitude is to know oneself. You have to take into account one’s abilities, those limitations and blockages that exist, and train new attitudes to take full control of emotions, and of what one can handle in his life, which is after all actions that oneself generates.
Resilience allows facing life from positivity and approaching situations from a point away from any negative aspect.