Before the arrival of a puppy dog at home, it is normal that emotion overwhelms us and with it that we do not think about care such as bathing. You may even think that during the dog’s first year of life You don’t have to go through the tub, but what to do if it gets dirty? The key is to consult the vet although you can also guide you through these steps in which we explain how to bathe a puppy
Our puppy has just come home, and in the first few days we are busy pampering him to get to know him, but anyway many doubts assail us and one of the main it’s about how and when to wash the puppy. The main thing, before you put it in the water, is to let it familiarize with the new environment, spaces and components of their new family, and then do what we explain now.
How to bathe a puppy
- One of the keys to giving our puppy its first bath is avoid traumatizing him right away, still remembering that she may still miss her mother’s warmth and sweetness. Let the dog get used to the smells, and above all, you must make sure you feel welcome and an integral part of the family.
- At first we can also use dry soaps, that are delicate and suitable for the skin of our puppy. OR use a soft cloth and moisten it with warm water. Once you have finished washing it, you have to pet and cuddle the dog so that it feels protected.
- When we realize it’s ready (not earlier than one month after arriving home and at two or three months of age) we can proceed with the traditional bath in the bathtub at home, or in a container outside in the garden.
- The first times it is important that you use very little water and in addition you will not be of more that you distract him with one of his toys so you can bathe it without problem.
- At the time when you have to bathe the puppy, it will be important that you also use a soft sponge, a specific soap for dogs, and that rub lightly on the back, legs and belly, taking great care of avoid head, eyes and ears.
- When we have overcome that first bath the puppy, the next times you can try fill the tub or container until the water reaches your chest.
- After you have soaped it, just rinse the puppy with warm water, avoiding the hand shower which can be scary. It is better that we throw the water directly into the hair with the help of a glass or pass it directly by hand while massaging the entire body of the dog.